Friday, April 24, 2009

Totakaashhtakam तोटकाष्टकं Adi Shankaraachaarya

Totakaashhtakam तोटकाष्टकं
Here is an article containing the toTakaashhTakam, eight verses composed in honor of Adi Shankaraachaarya. 
शंकरं शंकराचार्यं केशवं बादरायणम् । 
सूत्रभाष्यकृतौ वन्दे भगवन्तौ पुनः पुनः॥
I offer obeisances again and again to shrii Veda Vyaasa, the author of the Brahma suutras, who is none other than Lord VishNu, and shrii Shankaraachaarya, the commentator on those suutras, who is none other than Lord Shiva.


नारायणं पद्मभुवं वसिष्ठं शक्तिं च तत्पुत्रपराशरं च । 
व्यासं शुकं गौडपदं महान्तं गोविन्दयोगीन्द्रमथास्य शिष्यम्॥
श्री शंकराचार्यमथास्य पद्मपादं च हस्तामलकं च शिष्यम् । 
तं तोटकं वातिर्ककारमन्यानस्मद्गुरून् संततमानतो । अस्मि 
These two verses honor the advaita paramparaa . The names mentioned here, in order, are 1) Shriiman naaraayaNa, 2) Brahmaa, 3) VasishhTha, 4) Shakti, 5) Paraashara, 6) Vyaasa, 7) Shuka, 8) GauDapaada, 9) Govindapaada, 10) Shrii (Adi) Shankaraachaarya, and his four disciples, 11) Padmapaada, 12) Hastaamalaka, 13) toTaka, and 14) Sureshvara, and other Gurus.


विदिताखिलशास्त्रसुधाजलधे महितोपनिषत् कथितार्थनिधे । 
हृदये कलये विमलं चरणं भव शंकर देशिक मे शरणम्॥१॥
O knower of the nectar-ocean of the scriptures, the expounder of the knowledge of the great upanishadic treasure! I meditate on Your pure lotus feet in my heart . O Preceptor Shankara, be my refuge.


करुणावरुणालय पालय मां भवसागरदुःखविदूनहृदम् । 
रचयाखिलदर्शनतत्त्वविदं भव शंकर देशिक मे शरणम्॥२॥
Save me whose heart is afflicted by the misery of the ocean of births, O (You who are) the ocean of compassion! (By Your grace) make me the knower of the truths of all the systems of philosophy . O Preceptor Shankara, be my refuge.


भवता जनता सुहिता भविता निजबोधविचारण चारुमते । 
कलयेश्वरजीवविवेकविदं भव शंकर देशिक मे शरणम्॥३॥
The people have found happiness due to You, who have the intellect adept in
the inquiry into Self-knowledge . Make me understand the knowledge of God
and the soul . O Preceptor Shankara, be my refuge.



भव एव भवानिति मे नितरां समजायत चेतसि कौतुकिता । 
मम वारय मोहमहाजलधिं भव शंकर देशिक मे शरणं॥४॥
You are Lord Shiva Himself . Knowing this my mind is filled with an abundance of joy . Put an end to my sea of delusion . O Preceptor Shankara, be my refuge.


सुकृते . अधिकृते बहुधा भवतो भविता समदर्शनलालसता । 
अतिदीनमिमं परिपालय मां भव शंकर देशिक मे शरणम्॥५॥
Only after numerous virtuous deeds have been performed in many ways, does a keen desire for the experience of Brahman through You arise. Protect (me who am) extremely helpless . O Preceptor Shankara, be my refuge.


जगतीमवितुं कलिताकृतयो विचरन्ति महामहसश्छलतः । 
अहिमांशुरिवात्र विभासि गुरो भव शंकर देशिक मे शरणम्॥६॥
For the sake of saving the world, (Your) great (disciples) wander assuming various forms and guises . O Guru, You shine like the sun (among them). O Preceptor Shankara, be my refuge.


गुरुपुंगव पुंगवकेतन ते समतामयतां नहि को . अपि सुधीः । 
शरणागतवत्सल तत्त्वनिधे भव शंकर देशिक मे शरणम्॥७॥
O Best among the Gurus! The Lord whose flag bears the emblem of the bull! You have no equal among the wise . You who are affectionate to those who seek refuge! The treasure of truth! O Preceptor Shankara, be my refuge.


विदिता न मया विशदैककला न च किंचन काञ्चनमस्ति गुरो । 
द्रुतमेव विधेहि कृपां सहजां भव शंकर देशिक मे शरणम्॥८॥
I have neither understood even one branch of knowledge clearly, nor do I possess any wealth, O Guru . Quickly bestow on me the compassion which is
natural to You . O Preceptor Shankara, be my refuge.





If I am not Posting. 

I may be doing something at these places:

Youtube

Esnips


No comments: